Monday, February 27, 2012

Sponges

Thursday, 23/2/2012
( Prepare and Produce Cakes )

Thursday... Thursday... Thursday... it is Thursday again. Wao, I'm so exited. Okay, back to the topic above, Sponge. Today, I have done Chocolate Sponge cake and swiss rolls.

For the sponge, half of the class is doing vanilla sponge and another half is doing chocolate sponge. The method using is orthodox sponge, also known as the basic sponge method. First, my partner and I prepare the ingredients. In a mixing bowl, I mix in eggs, sugar and vanilla essence. Then I place them in a brain mire and whisk until it had reached 38 degree. After that, I pour them in the mixing bowl and mix in a medium speed/high speed until it increased it volume.

While is mixing, I sift the flour and cocoa powder. For chocolate sponge, must decrease the amount of flour and substitute with 12% of cocoa powder. After it is done, by using my bare hand ( of course I have washed them ), I mix in the flour bit by bit until finish. Lastly, add in some melted butter. BAKING TIME. Temperature, 200 degree for 25 minutes or golden brown. After the timer rings, I take them out and sprinkle some castor sugar below before I placed them in  another tray to prevent sticking. and TA DA. The sponge is ready, as below, NICE??????


Decoration time... Cut the sponge half and spread some jam, and pipe whipped cream in the middle. Then, sprinkle some icing sugar on top. My sponge are done!!!!!! Oh well, I didn't have the chance to eat my product as they are taken to the bake shop to sell unless I brought them. Unfortunately, I didn't buy them as is expensive although they have given me half price. But, I have taste my chef, Susan's sponge, it was delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!


Next is Swiss Roll. The recipe is different. I'm using the emulsified swiss roll recipe. For this one, it is much more easier to do as just mix in all the wet ingredients and then the dry ingredients. For the dry ingredients, remember to sift them. First, whisk for a minute to bind all the ingredients in low speed. Scrape the bowl and whisk again for 4 minutes in medium speed, that is until the sponge aerated. After it is done, spread evenly and bake immediately. Bake for 5 minutes at 220 degree.

After 5 minutes, take out from the oven and before transfer to a wire rack, on a piece of silicon paper, sprinkle some sugar before transferring them. If not, they will stick on the paper. While it cools down, I prepare my buttercream. There are 3 types of buttercream, German, Italian and French. I will no elaborate in that. I'm using German buttercream. It is custard base. In a pot, I put in milk and sugar and bring to boil. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the cornflour, vanilla essence, egg yolk and some milk until is smooth. Slowly pour the custard in the boiling pot and whisk well until is thicken.

Transfer to a mixing bowl, turn to medium speed and whisk till it is cool. Add in butter and continue whisking until is well cooperated. The buttercream is ready. Time to prepare my swiss roll!!! First, spread a thin layer of jam. Then spread the buttercream evenly. Roll them and tightly secure them in shape. Cut in half and it is done.

I brought my swiss roll for $1 each. The price the bake shop sell is $2.50 each. But because it was made by me in class, so I can get half price. AMAZING!!!!!!!! See the size, it was huge.  I save a lot and it was yummy. I LOVE IT.

P.S. The picture is taken at home.



No comments:

Post a Comment